Saskatoon Public Library In-House DB Menu In-House FAQ

Local History Collections
Record 1 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Modern Press Building.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: April 15, 1993
Collection:
Photographer: Creative Professional Photographers.
Description: Exterior views of the Modern Press building. Commissioned by A.E.C.L. Wood 'n Works, a woodworker's store, is visible next door in some images.
Uncatalogued file items: CP-10178-1 ; CP-10178-2 ; CP-10178-3 ; CP-10178-4 ; CP-10178-5 ; CP-10178-6 ; CP-10178-7 ; CP-10178-8 ; CP-10178-9 ; CP-10178-10 ; CP-10178-11
Phys. Descrip.: 11 photographs : col. slides
4 photographs : col. prints ; 20.4 x 25.4 cm and 25.4 x 20.4 cm.
Date Note: prints added October 2010.
Copyright: Saskatoon Public Library.
Notes: Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it. The Saskatchewan government provided funding for the Atomic Energy Canada Ltd. Saskatoon office in 1993 and the Modern Press Building received a make-over to house the AECL. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. The redesign was also featured in a 1995 publication of AWARD Magazine. Unfortunately, in June 1996 AECL decided to close its Saskatoon office due to the restructuring resulting from federal funding cutbacks. Deputy Premier and Economic Development Minister Dwain Lingenfelter expressed his disappointment in a press release, June 27 1996, "since the province has made a significant contribution to AECL operations"
Location: Slide Collection ; Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 2 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Atomic Energy Canada Ltd.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: October, 1995
Collection:
Photographer: Creative Professional Photographers.
Description: Exterior views of the renovated Modern Press Building.
Uncatalogued file items: CP-10406-4-1 ; CP-10406-4-2
Phys. Descrip.: 2 photographs : col. negatives ; 6.1 x 7.5 cm.
Copyright: Saskatoon Public Library.
Notes: Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it.
Location: Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 3 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Exterior of the Modern Press building.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: May 1 1994
Collection:
File:
Photographer: Creative Professional Photographers.
Description: Photographs of the exterior of the Modern Press building on 2nd Avenue North when it was occuppied by AECL.
Uncatalogued file items: CP-10264-1 ; CP-10264-2
Phys. Descrip.: 2 photographs : col negatives ; 6.2 x 7.2 cm
2 photographs : col prints ; 20.3 x 25.3 cm.
Copyright: Saskatoon Public Library.
Notes: Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it.
Location: CPP Negative Collection ; Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 4 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Interior of the AECL Building.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: 1997
Collection:
Photographer: Klypak, Henry.
Description: Main floor and mezzanine of the Artomic Energy at Canada (AECL) Building at 466 2nd Avenue North following renovations.
Phys. Descrip.: 1 photograph : col. print ; 17.5 x 12.5 cm.
Copyright: Saskatoon Public Library.
Related Material: See photos PH-97-48 to 50.
Location: Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 5 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Panel from 1997 exhibition "Rescued and Re- invented.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: 1997
Collection:
Photographer: Millar, Ruth.
Description: Panel from 1997 exhibition "Rescued and Re-invented", showing evolution of AECL building since its beginnings in 1927 (original structure) as the Modern Press building.
Phys. Descrip.: 1 photograph : col. negative ; 35 mm
1 photograph : col. print ; 15.1 x 9.9 cm.
Copyright: Saskatoon Public Library.
Notes: Vertical format. Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it. The Western Producer was for many years published in this building.
Location: Negative Collection ; Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 6 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Facade of Modern Press Building on 2nd Avenue North.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: 1939
Collection:
Description: Facade of Modern Press Building on 2nd Avenue North. Brick-faced building.
Phys. Descrip.: 1 photograph : b&w print ; 20.32 x 25.4 cm.
Copyright: Public domain.
Notes: Original photograph has notation old Modern Press Building 1939. Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it.
Location: Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 7 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
Modern Press building.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: 1931
Collection:
Photographer: Steele's Studio.
Description: Modern Press building at 456 2nd Avenue North with row of automobiles parked in front.
Phys. Descrip.: 1 photograph : b&w print ; 15.7 x 25.4 cm.
Copyright: Public domain.
Notes: Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it.
Location: Subject Collection
Subject:
Decades:

Record 8 of 8. | | | New Search | New Search ALL search | New Search ALL LHR search
A history of the Modern Press building.
Classification:
ID Number:
Title:
Date: 1997
Collection:
Photographer: Sarjeant-Jenkins, Rachel.
Place of publication: Saskatoon, SK.
Publisher: Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.
Phys. Descrip.: 25 p: ill, appendices.
Notes: Modern Press Building was built in 1927 and designed by David Webster.It was originally owned by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, serving as printing and publishing arm of it. It was remodelled in 1947. Modern Press moved to a new premises on Millar Avenue in 1979. It was renovated again in 1993 when Atomic Energy of Canada moved in. The tranformation resulted in awards for Heney Klypak Architect Ltd.: a 1994 Heritage Design Award, Sensitive Transformation of Modern Press Building to high technology design centre and the 1996 Premier's Award of Excellence in Design for AECL Centre. 1997 building bought by Mid-West Group and 1998-2014 home to SaskTel call centre. 2013 renovated to match the Nexus Building beside it.
Location: Pamphlet Collection
Subject:
Decades: