Saskatoon Public Library  
     
  Saskatoon Through the Ages:
selected photographs from Local History Gallery Shows
 
     
 

Photo 1 of 27 | | |

2016 - Saskatoon Slice

Bakeries have always been an essential part of the city's palate. The exhibition explores a slice of Saskatoon history through photographs of bygone bakeries. Join Local History in toasting this vital part of the city's past

Saskatoon Slice ... was curated by Ron Jaremko with the assistance of Local History Staff: Ann Findlay, Dorothea Funk, Mary Ellen Schnitzler, Patricia Tutty, Debora Verbonac, Barbara Wojnarowicz.



2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Delivery wagons and staff line up in front of the Saskatoon Bread Company's offices and plant at 108 1st Ave North. The occasion was the 1913 Traveller's Day Parade and the company's parade float proclaims "We eat Creamo and Mother's Bread." The company was organized by John C. Thompson, C. Austin Needham and Charles D. Sinclair. It opened on November 1, 1910.

Date: [between 1912 and 1915]

Note: Original is sepia toned. Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 2 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

After an extensive trip through the United States and Eastern Canada, G.A. Golf returned and gave Saskatoon its first electric bakery in 1923. Located at 134 21st Street East, Golf's Electric Bakery was managed by prize-winning baker Frederick D. Kirkby in its first year of operation.

Date: 1923.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 3 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Gus Golf boasted that he was the first to give the people of Saskatoon the greatest delights in pastry, cakes and bread. Everything he sold was made fresh daily and baked in the electric ovens at Golf's Electric Bakery. Baking was done right in the shop in full view of the public. In March 1923, cherry cake was the featured special.

Date: 1923.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 4 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Otto McElmon Higgins opened Daylight Electric Bakery in 1923 in the Western Hotel building. Some 80 products ranging from Danish pastry to white bread were turned out daily. Special kinds of milk breads, Christmas puddings and cake, French dainties and English delicacies were put through the ovens every 24 hours. In 1935 the baker would move across the street to 155 2nd Avenue South where it would remain until 1955.

Date: [ca.1955]

Note: Original image has been retouched for display. Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 5 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

In 1929 McGavin's Limited of Edmonton purchased property on the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and Queen Street to build a modern bakery involving an expenditure of more than $125,000. Completed in 1930, the new McGavin's Bakery building was rated as one of the most up-to-date bakeries in Canada. At the time, McGavin's Limited operated bakeries in Moose Jaw, Regina, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Vancouver, Victoria, Pasadena and Denver.

Date: 1947.

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 6 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

In the golden age of bakeries, bread was delivered to all parts of the city by an efficient delivery system. The city bread routes were serviced by a fleet of horse-drawn delivery wagons and trucks. McGavin's delivery men lined up beside the Technical Collegiate looked sharp in their company uniform and bow-tie. The drivers are all men but McGavin's did employ a woman driver.

Date: [194-]

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 7 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

McGavin's girls on the production line package up cakes and buns in preparation for shipping. As one of the largest baking plants in town, McGavin's was also one of the largest employers.

Date: [after 1952]

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 8 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Workmen load McGavin's products onto a Canadian National delivery truck in 1947. When McGavin's opened its large new plant in 1930, the market area it served was not limited to Saskatoon. The company shipped to practically all the leading towns and villages in northern Saskatchewan. McGavin's bakery products including cakes, doughnuts, bread and cookies were sold in grocery and convenience stores throughout the province.

Date: 1947.

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 9 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Ed, Mike and Stanley Sikorski opened Brother's Bakery in 1935. Nestor Wiwchar and his brother-in-law Jack Yacuik would take over the business in December 1937. This 1940 photograph shows the recently married Nestor Wiwchar, wife Doris and friend George Boshuck of the Independent Grocery down the block. Located at 912 20th Street West, Mr. and Mrs. Wiwchar would own and operate Brother's Bakery until 1951 and Nestor's Bakery from 1961 to 1971.

Date: 1940.

Note: Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 10 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Colby and Bert Pulles before the closing of the Broadway Bakery in 1975. Hugo Gepinger had opened Broadway Bakery in 1933 in a rented location at 707 Broadway Avenue. By 1941 Hugo and Annie Gepinger had moved the business and their home across the street to their own building at 708 Broadway Avenue. Brothers Bert and John Pulles and their wives would take over the bakery in January 1959.

Date: [ca. 1975]

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 11 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Harry Boyenko, manager at Mother's Bakery, prepares long sausage rolls for baking. Mother's Bakery was opened in 1941 by Stanley Sikorski at 238 Avenue I South. The business would move around the corner to 832 20th Street West in 1944. Harry and Fred Boyenko would take over the business in 1955 and operate it until 1979 when ownership would change.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 12 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

It's winter and a deliveryman for the Saskatoon Bread Company stands beside his bread wagon with a large wicker basket of bread. Photo was taken near Avenue A (the Temperance Hotel is visible in the distance).

Date: 1913.

Note: Original is sepia toned. Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 13 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Charles Nash and Ernest Ross who had operated the downtown Central Bakery purchased Home Bakery in Nutana in 1922 and combined the names to Home and Central Bakeries. In addition to the shown location at 722 Broadway Avenue, branches were located at 226 2nd Avenue South and 222 21st Street East.

Date: [1923 - 1929]

Note: Original image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 14 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

The Saskatoon Bread Company's delivery wagon in front of King Edward School on 25th Street East advertises Mother's Bread. Mother's Bread was the Saskatoon Bread Company's signature product. Its healthful and invigorating qualities were vaunted in the slogans "There's health in it" and "Mother's Bread is better."

Date: [between 1952 and 1956]

Note: Original is sepia toned. Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 15 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Baker's helper Anka Gasparovic takes loaves of bread from the oven at the Express Bakery. Sometimes called the Honey Bunch bakeries, the Express Bakery was located at 1202 3rd Avenue North.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 16 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Fourex bread and cakes were baked by Canadian Bakeries Limited from their plant at 505 2nd Avenue North. The company had established a Saskatoon location in 1928. The firm's ovens had a capacity of 30,000 loaves per day. Eddie Hudson, a driver for the bakery, poses with Stella Mack, Proprietress of Quick Lunch and her brother and sister next to the Roxy Theatre.

Date: 1930s or 40s?

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 17 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

The horses that drew the McGavin's delivery wagons were kept in stables erected next to the bakery. Fitted with modern equipment, the stables were steam heated and had an automatic fire alarm. By 1954, McGavin's was the only local firm still making deliveries of its products and that year saw the last horse-drawn bread wagon.

Date: [193-]

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 18 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Baker Otto Tieman pipes decorations on a batch of gingerbread men at the Golden Sheaf Bakery at 1014 Central Ave. Prior to opening the Sutherland Bakery, Tieman had operated the Mount Royal Bakery on 29th Street. In 1967 Tieman partnered with Wally Ruder to open the second location in Sutherland. In 1977 the enterprise became Downey's Golden Sheaf Bakery operated by John and Ann Downey.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 19 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Workers Irene Giannotta and Irene Brucks prepare dough by hand at the Express Bakery on 33rd Street and 3rd Avenue North.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 20 of 27 | | |


2016 - Saskatoon Slice - Bygone Bakeries

Lorette Dionne of Christie's Mayfair Bakery displays a tray of doughnuts as well as other tasty treats produced by the bakery. Ennio and Janet Muzzolini bought Christie's in 1966 and maintained it as a family owned and operated business. Before Christie's, Ennio had worked as a baker at Pleasant Hill Bakery.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice

 
 
Saskatoon Through the Ages Menu About Local History Ordering a Photograph
 
  Saskatoon Public Library