Saskatoon Public Library  
     
  Saskatoon Through the Ages:
selected photographs from Local History Gallery Shows
 
     
 

Photo 1 of 25 | | |

2015 - Hair Story

The exhibit presents a tonsorial tour in photographs of Saskatoon’s early barber shops and beauty parlours. The collection has been combed for photographs of barbers and hairdressers, shaves and shampoos, clippers and curlers to chronicle a fascinating chapter in Saskatoon’s local hair story

Hair Story ... was curated by Ron Jaremko with the assistance of Local History Staff: Sonia Dickin, Ann Findlay, Dorothea Funk, Mary Ellen Schnitzler, Debora Verbonac, Barbara Wojnarowicz



2015 - Hair Story

Harry H. Marchant opened his barber shop in 1913 at 103 Ave. C South. After a few years he moved the business to 22nd Street, where it operated as a barber shop and confectionary. The barber shop moved again in 1928 to 105 Ave. B South. Marchant cut hair at this location for the next 10 years.

Date: November 1913.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 2 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

The Marble Palace Barber Shop at 231-2nd Avenue South opened in 1913 inside the newly built Victoria Theatre building. The following year, ownership changed from G. Thanagan to Benjamin J. Sanderson and the business became the Victoria Barber Shop. In addition to haircuts and shaves, the Victoria Barber Shop also provided showers and baths for both ladies and gentlemen. John C. Reiche has been identified as one of the standing barbers.

Date: 1913.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 3 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

The 1915 Victoria Day window display at Fawcett Hardware Store on 2nd Avenue featured an unusually handsome tableau of razor and barber supplies. Arranged by local window decorator Harold W. Parr, a clerk at the store, the display featured straight razors, shaving brushes, razor straps and other shaving supplies. Parr won various prizes in international competitions for his window dressings at the store. The window was one of the bright spots on the avenue.

Date: May 24, 1915.

Note: Image has been cropped from original. Original is sepia toned.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 4 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

The Nu-Jene Permanent Wave Shoppe in the Stephenson Block at 227 2nd Avenue South was operated by Mrs. Matilda Guytar, with a staff of 14 expert hair stylists. An advertisement for the shop stated that it had become increasingly popular for its soft water shampooing and modern methods of permanent waving. The clamps and rods of the electric permanent wave machines are seen at left.

Date: [194-]

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 5 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

LaBelle Beauty Clinic opened its doors in Saskatoon in 1931 under the ownership of Mrs. T.M. Guytar. It was first operated as a school of beauty culture as well as a professional salon. Courses were offered in shampooing, rinsing, drying, finger marcel and croquignole marcel waving, eyebrow arching and shaping, as well as bleaching, dyeing and haircutting.

Date: [193-]

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 6 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Tommy (Nee Foon) Goon stands in front of his barber shop in December 1941. Born in China, Goon came to Canada in 1921. The Modern Barber Shop at 236 20th Street West first appeared in the 1939 city directory. Goon operated a barber shop for the next 30 years until his retirement in 1969.

Date: December 1941.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 7 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

The interior of Tommy Goon’s Modern Barber Shop at 236 20th Street West. Goon operated out of this location until 1949, when he moved across the street to a new building at 223 20th St. W.

Note: Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 8 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

As part of the basic training exercises at the Dundurn Army Camp, this young recruit receives the standard high and tight haircut most commonly worn by men in the armed forces. During the Second World War, hair-grooming standards were thought necessary to maintain uniformity within the military population.

Date: June 8, 1942.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 9 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Among the vocational courses offered at the School for the Deaf were classes in hairdressing and beauty culture. Under the instruction of Mrs. Ethel Mackenzie, girls were taught the skills needed to find meaningful employment in the beauty industry.

Date: October - December 1945.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 10 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Advertised as the world’s finest permanent wave machine, the Shelton Thermique was manufactured by W.G. Shelton Company Limited of Hamilton, Ontario, the Canadian agent of the American company. Shelton claimed it gave a “lifelike natural curl, easy to keep in order and styled for that youthful look.” Students from an advanced class in hairdressing at the School for the Deaf demonstrate the results.

Date: October-December 1945.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 11 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Barbering was one of the trades taught boys and men at the School for the Deaf. The training prepared them for an occupation in which the deaf could make an honest living.

Date: 1947.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 12 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Laura Marcotte worked at various beauty parlours, such as Bishop’s, King George Hairdressing and the Rose Beauty Shop, before opening her own salon in 1939. The Laura Marcotte Beauty Salon was originally located in the Ferguson Block. The salon moved to the basement of the MacMillan Building at 135 23rd Street East in 1944.

Date: 1945.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 13 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Getting your hair done was also a chance to get caught up on your reading. While sitting under the dryer, clients at the LaBelle Beauty Parlour peruse the latest trends in fashion, exciting news from the Hollywood screen, and new recipes and household hints from Canadian kitchens. A good beauty salon not only had good operators but also had good magazines.

Date: 1945.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 14 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Regina stylist Jerry Legare won the provincial hairstyling trophy at the Cavalcade of Beauty competition in September 1961. At the competition, held in conjunction with the Saskatchewan Barbers and Beauticians Convention at the Bessborough Hotel, Legare used his wife as his model. Mrs. Legare's peach-coloured hair was swept high from a point at the base of her head in a variation of the airlift line.

Date: 1961.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 15 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

In 1936, Steve Bedi took over Neil's Barber Shop, operated by William Neil at 302 20th Street West. Briefly in 1936 and 1937, it was known as Seville's Barber Shop before it became Steve's Barber Shop in 1938. Bedi practiced his trade in the Roxy Theatre building until his retirement in 1966. He later returned to his native Hungary.

Date: [ca. 1940]

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 16 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Located on the ground floor of the hotel, the Bessborough Hotel Barber Shop was run by Rudy Boldt in 1966. The Bessborough was part of Canadian National Railway's chain of hotels and, as such, the barber shop provided full service to hotel guests. Full service included a haircut, a shave and a shoeshine.

Date: July 13, 1966.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 17 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Looking good is connected to feeling good. Something as simple as a shampoo and set can make a patient feel better. These patients at Royal University Hospital enjoy having their hair done despite being in the hospital. A salon located inside a hospital - who would have thought of such a thing?

Date: April 23, 1957.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 18 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

New York stylist Carl Pace spent two weeks in Saskatoon in March 1962, bringing the latest in coiffures to local hairdressers. Mildred Stolarski models "the Oliver," the boy look inspired by the Broadway musical Oliver. Mary Wright sports the Empire silhouette, recommended for the sophisticated woman, a style close-fitted with a twist and a long ducktail at the back.

Date: March 1962.

Note: Image has been cropped from original.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 19 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Sometimes the art of hairdressing is more like architecture or engineering. This creation by one of the stylists at Coiffures by Chris bears witness to the talent of the hairdresser. Chris was Chris Ridis, a prize-winning stylist and the owner of the salon. At one time, Coiffures by Chris, located in the Midtown Plaza, was the place to get your hair done.

Date: [ca. 1966]

Note: Image has been retouched for display.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 20 of 25 | | |


2015 - Hair Story

Young Todd Laberge sits on a board in the barber's chair as barber Allan Pederson cuts his hair at John's Barber Shop. In 1968, the shop was located in the basement of Mead's Drug Store at 1210 7th Avenue North at 33rd Street.

Note: Original is in colour.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice

 
 
Saskatoon Through the Ages Menu About Local History Ordering a Photograph
 
  Saskatoon Public Library