Saskatoon Public Library  
     
  Saskatoon Through the Ages:
selected photographs from Local History Gallery Shows
 
     
 

Photo 1 of 25 | | |

1989 - Greetings From Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The early decades of the century in Canada produced a profusion of postcards, which today form a valuable source of pictorial documentation of rural and urban scenes. The images in this exhibition are representative of the hundreds of postcards in the Local History Room collection. They were reproduced from actual photographs of Saskatoon and area and delicately tinted for aesthetic appeal. The postcard collection includes items from such companies as Stedman Bros. Ltd. of Winnipeg, Illustrated Post Card Co. of Toronto, and Valentine-Black of Toronto.

Original Gallery Show (1989) compiled by: M. Lamontagne

With the assistance of: A. Kagis, A. Kalenchuk, J. Colvine and R. Millar



1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

A leisurely form of transport dawdles along the riverside; the old Canadian Northern Railway bridge looms in the background.

Date: [between 1914 and 1916]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 2 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Rooftop view of Saskatchewan Crescent West. The old Hoeschen-Wentzler Brewing Co. plant became Saskatoon Brewing Co. in 1914, and still later, in 1960, Labatt's Saskatchewan Brewery Ltd.

Date: [ca. 1915]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 3 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

In 1919, the old Post Office was located at 158 1st Avenue, at the corner of 21st Street. Later, it was occupied by the RCMP (1933) and by Caswell’s Ltd. (1939), before it was torn down to make way for the Royal Bank.

Date: 1919.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 4 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The first Saskatoon City Hospital on Queen Street around 1910. The attached building on the left was the isolation “wing”.

Date: [ca. 1910]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 5 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Third Avenue Methodist Church was built in 1903 near the northeast corner of 3rd Avenue and 21st Street on the site later occupied by the Army & Navy Store. The church was demolished in 1911, when a new site at 3rd and 24th was purchased for Third Avenue Church.

Date: 1908.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 6 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Former Fire Hall No. 1, built in 1908 on the southwest corner of 23rd Street and 4th Avenue, with residential areas behind it. It was demolished in 1965 to make way for the present Frances Morrison Library.

Date: 1912.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 7 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

A classic Saskatoon street scene – 21st Street seen from Spadina Crescent. On the right are the Oddfellows Hall, Masonic Temple, the old Court House and the Great War Veterans Association building.

Date: [between 1921 and 1922]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 8 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

2nd Avenue looking north from near 21st Street. Streetcar rails suggest this image was taken after January 1, 1913, the date of the Municipal Railway’s inaugural run. The Western Hotel, built around 1903, survived until 1963 when Woolworth’s expanded its 21st Street store with an entrance from 2nd Avenue.

Date: [after January 1, 1913]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 9 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The grain elevator, prairie sentinel, dominates this small town scene.

Date: [191-]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 10 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Overhead street scene, looking south along 2nd Avenue from above 23rd Street. At right is the King George Hotel; the original and elegant Bank of Montreal is just visible at the right on 22nd Street. This postcard may have been touched up: the electric streetcar apparently has no overhead cables on which to run!

Date: 1934.

Photographer: Prominence of business sign suggests Steele's Studio might be the photographer.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 11 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Old City Hall building around 1914. Located in front of the site of our present City Hall on 23rd Street, the building opened February 1904 as the first King Edward School and was taken over by the City and the Police Department in June 1912 as temporary headquarters. The civic administration remained there for 44 years.

Date: [ca. 1912]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 12 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Saskatoon Milling and Elevator Company at Avenue N and 18th Street West in 1908. The building was sold to Quaker Oats of Chicago in 1912.

Date: [ca. 1908]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 13 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The three Victoria Schools on Broadway Avenue at 12th Street around 1910. The school on the left was built in 1905; the "Little Stone Schoolhouse" on the right, built in 1887, was moved to the University campus in 1911. The central edifice was built in 1909, and with some additions, still stands on that site.

Date: [between 1909 and 1911]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 14 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The King Edward Hotel, located at the corner of 20th Street and Avenue A. This structure was built in 1908, but around 1912 was enlarged and remodeled, swallowing up the vaudeville theatre next door. A fire in 1961 ended the hotel’s 53 year career.

Date: [ca. 1912]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 15 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

The old Canadian Northern Railway station at the end of 21st Street. It was built in 1910 as the Canadian Northern terminal but adopted the name Canadian National Railway when the two lines merged in 1923.

Date: [ca. 1910]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 16 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

A sign on the east end of the Traffic Bridge around 1911 exhorts motorists to curb excessive speeds over 6 mph.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 17 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Houses along 6th Avenue North around 1910, before the street was paved but after the advent of motor cars.

Date: [ca. 1910]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 18 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

An artist’s conception of the Standard Trusts Building, formerly at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 22nd Street. Built by a Winnipeg firm in 1912-13, it came down in 1976.

Date: [between 1912 and 1914]

Photographer: Published by Novelty Manufacturing & Art Printing Co., Montreal.

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 19 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

Looking east on 21st Street toward the Bessborough from between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, around 1938. In those days, the Flanagan (now the Senator) still had its cupola.

Date: [ca. 1938]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice


Photo 20 of 25 | | |


1989 - Greetings from Saskatoon: Enlargements of Tinted Vintage Postcards

King Edward School on 25th Street around 1914. After a fire in January 1979, the school was demolished and the site sold to the city. A new YWCA was subsequently built there.

Date: [ca. 1914]

Comment on this record: lhstaff@saskatoonlibrary.ca

.

How to order photographs.

Copyright notice

 
 
Saskatoon Through the Ages Menu About Local History Ordering a Photograph
 
  Saskatoon Public Library Government of Canada Young Canada Works